Principal, System Engineer (Cloud Platform)
Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door.
Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year.
We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea. Korea is home to one of the largest and fastest growing e-commerce opportunities anywhere in the world.
As a Systems Architect / Principal Systems Engineer for our platform team, this role will focus on leveraging Cloud Platform infrastructure, services and processes at its best to help increase infrastructure & system Efficiencies, Productivity, scalability and system quality improvements at 10X scale. This role will be responsible for diving deep into business problems, understanding current customer pain points, system domain, current Platform limitations (if exists) and then work closely with engineering teams / leaders to design and architect new system / services leveraging cloud infrastructure that can scale 10X better, is reliable, and is highly available. The includes providing system architecture artifacts, accountability on cloud infrastructure choices that can perform and scale at 10X level but are still efficient, guidance on using right machine type, network designs etc . You will be part of a Global team working from different locations but still works as a central connected unit.
This role will possess a strong blend of technical, architect, hands on blended with leadership skills blended with result-oriented culture to deliver to needs of business at speed of light. The roles require strong Linux systems administration/engineering, networking, security & cloud environments skills. Have the ability to mix different AWS services to migrate existing services to the Cloud or improve current deployments. You will focus on Infrastructure automation, security and availability through fault-tolerant enterprise solutions.
Do you have a strong background on system design and architecture required for defining a design for Cloud Platform / system? Are you an execution-oriented with attention to detail on driving platform enhancements and improvements across the technology infrastructure stack? If you answered yes to the above, then you might be the right person to be the Principal System Engineer at Coupang.
- Serve as a technical architect on Cloud infrastructure layer.
- 100% accountable for quality of system architecture and design of system / Platform.
- Solves complex technical problems in our AWS environment plus improves Operations Excellence
- Strong ability to deep dive to understand current systems Cloud architecture to provide strategic partnership and improvements on network usage, role management, CDN, domains etc.
- Analyze complex distributed production deployments and recommend ways to optimize performance and/or automate processes by managing continuous integration servers, utilizing monitoring and testing tools
- Identify opportunities to make disruptive improvements in cloud infrastructure usage, operations and services with high degree of systematic automation.
- Possess expert knowledge in performance (millisecond latencies), scalability, availability (99.99% uptime), enterprise architecture best practices
- Strong problem-solving skills, analytical capabilities, and attention to detail
- Strong cultural change management experience
- Bachelor's degree and/or Master's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- 15+ years of system engineering or site reliability experience
- 5+ years of experience leading system design, architecture leveraging Cloud services (AWS/Azure/GCP etc.)
- 5+ years of demonstrable building and operating infrastructure as code. Comfortable with many flavors of Linux
- 5+ year’s of experience in building high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems in the cloud.
- 3+ years of experience mentoring junior engineers to success.
- Excellent cross-group collaboration, outstanding verbal and written communication.
- AWS Certification for SysOps on AWS, Developing on AWS, and/or AWS Architect or equivalent certification in different Cloud providers.
- 3+ years of hands-on experience as a Principal-level system Engineer
- Excellent cross-group collaboration and communication skills
- Demonstrated virtual team leadership capabilities
Recruitment Process and Others
- Recruitment Process
- Application Review - Phone Interview - Onsite (or Virtual Onsite) Interview - Offer
- The exact nature of the recruitment process may vary according to the specific job, and maybe changed due to scheduling or other circumstances.
- Interview schedules and the results will be informed to the applicant via the e-mail address submitted at the application stage.
- Things to Consider
- This job posting may be closed prior to the stated end date for application if all openings are filled.
- Coupang has the right to rescind an offer of employment if a candidate is found to have submitted false information as part of the application process.
- Coupang does not discriminate against disabled applicants or those with veteran status. We are proud to offer equal opportunities for all applicants.
- Privacy Notice
- Your personal information will be collected and managed by Coupang as stated in the Application Privacy Notice located below.
- Document Return Policy
- This notification is given pursuant to Article 11 (6) of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act.
- A job applicant, who has applied but not been finally selected for a position at Coupang (the “Company”), may request the Company to return his/her hiring documents submitted pursuant to the Fair Hiring Procedure Act. However, this will not apply where the hiring documents were submitted via the website of the Company or e-mail, or where the job applicant submitted those documents voluntarily without a request from the Company. In addition, if the hiring documents were destroyed due to a natural disaster or any other reasons not attributable to the Company, such documents will be deemed to have been returned to the job applicant.
- A job applicant who wishes to request the return of his/her hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above should fill out a “Request for Return of Hiring Documents” [Annex Form No. 3 in the Enforcement Rule of the Fair Hiring Procedure Act] and submit the request to the Company by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) In such case, within fourteen (14) days from the date of identifying the receipt of the request, the Company will send the hiring documents to the job applicant’s designated address via registered mail. Please be informed that the job applicant is required to pay the postage on the registered mail.
- In preparation for a job applicant’s request for the return of hiring documents pursuant to the main sentence of paragraph 2 above, the Company shall retain the original hiring documents submitted by the job applicant for 180 days from the completion of the recruiting process. If no request is made until the end of this period, all of his/her hiring documents will be destroyed immediately in accordance with the Personal Information Protection Act.