Principal, Data Engineer ([Product, Operations, Services Engineering] Experiment Platform)
Coupang is reimagining the shopping experience with the goal of wowing each customer from the instant they open the Coupang app to the moment an order is delivered to their door.
Powered by an outstanding end-to-end e-commerce and logistics network and a fanatical culture of customer centricity, Coupang has broken tradeoffs around speed, selection and price. Today, we provide exceedingly fast shipping speeds on millions of items including fresh groceries, delivered within hours nationwide, 365 days a year.
We are doing this for millions of consumers in Korea, one of the world’s largest and fastest growing e-commerce markets. Korea is currently the 5th largest e-commerce market in the world.
As a Data Engineer for the Experiment Platform team, you will be responsible for the design, development, and maintenance of the data infrastructure that enables data-driven decision-making for Coupang. In this role, you will build and support data pipelines which process billions of logs and terabytes of data each day. At this scale, you will need to ensure fault tolerance and robustness in order to deliver accurate results on time.
What You Will Do
- Design and implement reliable data pipelines using modern distributed processing technologies such as Spark, Hive
- Design schemas for different domains and support data in the data warehouse
- Review designs and code with the team to ensure highest quality and enforce industry best practices
- Develop best practices and frameworks for unit, functional and integration tests for our team's test coverage and automation
- Guide data users (data scientists, BAs, etc.) on best practices to use data platforms and tools efficiently
- BS or advanced degree in Computer Science, or related technical field
- 5+ years of experience in building software and solutions
- Experience in one or more programming languages such as Java, Scala, Python, Go or Kotlin
- Experience in distributed processing using EMR, Spark, Hive, or other big data frameworks
- Solid fundamentals in OO design, data structures, and algorithms
- Experience with Cloud Computing platforms and understanding of scaling and reliability issues
- Experience in designing, building, and maintaining highly scalable data pipelines and platforms
- Experience in Stream-processing systems (Kafka, Storm, Spark-Streaming or equivalent) is a plus
- Familiarity with workflow or orchestration frameworks, open-source tools like Airflow and Luigi or commercial enterprise tools
- Knowledge of container services (Docker/Kubernetes)
- Autonomy to make decisions in a rapidly growing company
- 18 days PTO + 12 national holidays off
- 401K matching
- Pre-IPO stock
- Mobile & fitness reimbursement
- Catered Lunch onsite
Coupang is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, transgender status), national origin, age, disability, medical condition, HIV/AIDS or Hepatitis C status, marital status, military or veteran status, use of a trained dog guide or service animal, political activities, affiliations, citizenship, or any other characteristic or class protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation in the application or recruiting process due to a disability, please contact us at email@example.com.